Effective Date: October 1, 2022
Welcome to Macaluso Cahill’s Privacy page. Your privacy is important to us. Please read the below privacy notice topics to learn more about our privacy practices.
Privacy Notice Statement
This Privacy Notice provides information about how we collect and store Personal Information, and how Personal Information may be used by Macaluso Cahill LLP and our affiliates (the “Firm”). This Notice provides you with necessary information regarding your rights and the Firm’s obligations, in accordance with applicable data privacy regulations and laws. Read the full text of our Privacy Notice in PDF format.
This Privacy Notice (the “Privacy Notice”) explains how Macaluso Cahill LLP (“Macaluso Cahill,” “we” or “us”) collects, uses and discloses information about you when you use www.macalusocahill.com, other websites owned and operated by Macaluso Cahill (collectively, the “Site”), and other online services (collectively, the “Services”). This Privacy Notice also applies when you attend our events or when you otherwise interact with us as described below, unless we state that a different Privacy Notice applies.
The effective date of this Privacy Notice is posted above. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make updates, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this Privacy Notice, and if required by law, we may provide you with additional notice (such as by adding a statement to our Site homepage or by sending you an email). We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice whenever you access the Site or the Services to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you interact with us as a client (or as a prospective or former client), create an account to access certain features of the Services, access or use any collaboration tools or participate in any interactive features of the Services, send us an email, fill out a form, respond to a survey, register for an event, apply for a job, interact with us on social media, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, username and password, postal address, email address, phone number, current occupation and business contact information, social security number, employment application information (including education and work history), social media username or handle, demographic information, preferences, state bar number and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use the Services, we collect certain information about you that is sent to us automatically by your web browser, including:
- Log Information. Information about your use of the Services, including your internet protocol address (“IP address”), the identity of your Internet Service Provider, the name and version of your operating system, the name and version of your browser, the date and time of your visit, and the pages you visit. An IP address is a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you connect to the Internet. It is used to identify your computer’s “location” in cyberspace, so that the information you request can be delivered to you. If you use a dial-up connection or a connection that assigns dynamic IP addresses, your computer will be assigned a new IP Address each time you connect to the Internet. If, however, your computer is permanently connected to the Internet using a static IP address, the IP address assigned to your computer will generally be the same each time you use your computer. Although it does not identify you by name, we treat your IP address as your personal information.
You should know, that when you access the Services by clicking on a link in an electronic communication you receive from us, your browser tells us that someone has clicked on a particular link in that particular electronic communication. We use this information to improve our marketing efforts. In addition, we review our server logs — which contain visitors’ IP addresses — for security and fraud prevention purposes. If criminal activity is suspected, we may share our server logs and the personal information we have collected through the Services with the appropriate investigative authorities who could use that information to trace and identify individuals.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies. Information collected by us or our third-party providers using various technologies, including cookies and web beacons (or pixel tags). Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to, among other things, improve the Services and your experience, see which areas and features of the Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are clear, electronic images that may be used on the Services or in our emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine if an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information, please refer to our Cookie Notice below.
- Device Information. Information about the mobile device you use to access our mobile applications, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
Information from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example, we may use information from LinkedIn to update information about you in our contact database.
Our Site contains features that allow you to forward information and personal messages to a colleague. When you use one of these features, we will ask you to provide your name and email address and your colleague’s name and email address. We use this information only to customize and deliver your message. We do not store this information in our databases after your email is delivered.
How We Use Information
We use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Operate the Services and improve the content, functionality and usability of the Services;
- Provide legal services;
- Respond to your questions, comments and requests you have made through the Services (including our digital marketing tools);
- Contact you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Macaluso Cahill or our partners that we believe will be of interest to you (unless you have chosen not to receive these communications);
- Contact you with information and notices related to your use of the Services;
- Invite you to participate in surveys and provide feedback to us (unless you have chosen not to receive such invitations);
- Assess job applicants and make hiring decisions;
- Ensure our mailing lists are accurate, current and do not contain multiple entries for the same individual; and
- Monitor and analyze usage, trends and activities related to the Services to better understand your needs and interests.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which could be derived from your personal information. This is not considered personal information in law as this information will not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
- Service Providers. We may share your personal information with companies that perform services on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us, such as credit card verification, online recruiting, and web hosting service providers.
- State Bar Associations. We may share your name and bar number in connection with an application for CLE credit.
- Event Co-sponsors. Depending on your privacy preferences, we may contact you with information about seminars and other events sponsored by Macaluso Cahill. Some of these events may be co-sponsored with other organizations.
- Sale or Merger. In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Macaluso Cahill’s assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- Your Consent. With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you subsequently provide such information.
We respect your right to make choices about the ways we collect, use and disclose your personal information.
We will not use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, without your consent. We obtain your opt-in consent to our marketing communications via the Site. We include an “opt-out” link in electronic newsletters and promotional emails we send you, so that you can inform us that you do not wish to receive such communications from us in the future. If at any time you wish to be removed from our mailing lists, please contact us using the contact information provided at the end of this Privacy Notice. Please provide your full name, company name, postal address and email address so that we can locate you on our mailing lists. We will honor your request within a reasonable period of time and, in any event, within the time limits established by law.
If you wish to access, update or correct your personal information, please contact us by email at [email protected] or postal mail at Macaluso Cahill LLP, 900 IDS Center, 80 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402, USA, Attn: Privacy. We will respond to you within a reasonable time period and, in any case, within the time limits established by applicable law. We may ask you for additional information to verify your identity. In most cases, we will provide access and correct or delete any inaccurate information you discover. In some cases, however, we may limit or deny your request if the law permits or requires us to do so or if we are unable to verify your identity. We reserve the right, subject to applicable law, to charge a reasonable fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal information we hold about you. Please know that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Our Other Web Sites
Macaluso Cahill may operate other web sites from time to time, including extranet sites we maintain for the convenience of our clients. This Privacy Notice applies only to this Site and not to any other site owned or operated by Macaluso Cahill.
Links to Third Party Content and Other Websites
We may provide links to or embed videos hosted by third-party web sites, services, and applications, such as YouTube, that are not operated or controlled by Macaluso Cahill. This Privacy Notice does not apply to third-party services, and we cannot take responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of third-party services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party service before providing any information to or through them.
Data Retention and Storage
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we collected it and in accordance with applicable law and legitimate business interests.
When assessing the data retention period, we take into account the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the information, the purposes for which we process the data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Security of Information
We have reasonable and appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of any personal information we receive about you. We maintain appropriate security standards to protect the personal information that we maintain.
Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be completely secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, you acknowledge that: (a) we cannot control security and privacy indefinitely; (b) the security, integrity, and privacy of information or data exchanged between you and us cannot always be guaranteed; and (c) any such information and data may be viewed or compromised when in transit by a third party.
Accuracy of Information
We strive to keep our records accurate and will make appropriate corrections when you notify us. Please let us know if there is incorrect information in any statements or other communications that you receive from us. If you would like to correct or update your personal information, please contact us at [email protected]
California Privacy Rights
Shine the Light
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to other parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject “Shine the Light Request.”
California Consumer Privacy Act
Privacy Rights in Other Jurisdictions
You may have rights in relation to your personal information under applicable data privacy laws in other jurisdictions. If you wish to exercise any such rights, please contact us using the contact information below:
Macaluso Cahill LLP
900 IDS Center
80 South Eighth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Macaluso Cahill LLP
Effective October 1, 2022
Cookies on our Site are generally divided into the following categories:
- Essential Cookies: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of our Site
- Analytical / Performance Cookies: These cookies include Google Analytics and Siteimprove and they keep track of the pages that you visit and content you access, so we can tailor our Site to our users’ needs and improve the performance of our Site.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies remember the choices you make, such as language options or the region you are in. These cookies personalize your experience when you use our Site.
Generally, the information we collect using these cookies does not identify you personally. If, however, you have created a user identity, for example, by subscribing to our publications or filling out forms, we may link the information we collect using cookies to other information that identifies you personally.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you may set your browser to reject cookies or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer. You may also delete our cookies as soon as you leave our Site. Although you are not required to accept our cookies when you visit this Site, you will not be able to use all of the features and functionality of our Site if you set your browser to, or manually reject cookies.
Macaluso Cahill LLP
Effective October 1, 2022
macalusocahill.com (this “Site“) is owned and operated by Macaluso Cahill LLP (“Macaluso Cahill,” “we,” “our” or “us“).
Content of this Site is Not Legal Advice
The information offered on this Site does not constitute legal advice, and the specific advice of legal counsel is recommended before acting on any matter discussed on this Site.
Sending us an Email Will Not Make You a Client of this Firm
Sending us an email will not make you a client of this firm. Until we have agreed to represent you, nothing you send us will be confidential or privileged. Accordingly, please do not send us any confidential information by email except at the specific request of a lawyer of this firm. Unsolicited emails are not binding on this firm and cannot impose valid deadlines.
Our Privacy Notice
Our Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice“) describes how we protect your personal information when you use this Site. You may view or print the current version of our Privacy Notice at any time by clicking on the link marked “Privacy Notice” at the bottom of each page of this Site.
Ownership of Site and Content
Macaluso Cahill LLP, the Macaluso Cahill logo and any other product or service name or slogan contained in this Site are trademarks of Macaluso Cahill and its suppliers or licensors, and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Macaluso Cahill or the applicable trademark holder. You may not use any metatags or any other “hidden text” utilizing “Macaluso Cahill” or any other name, trademark or product or service name of Macaluso Cahill without our prior written permission. In addition, the look and feel of the Site, including all page headers, custom graphics, button icons and scripts, is the service mark, trademark and/or trade dress of Macaluso Cahill and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without our prior written permission. All other trademarks, registered trademarks, product names and company names or logos mentioned in the Sites are the property of their respective owners. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information, by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof by Macaluso Cahill.
Some of the information, articles and other materials available through this Site are provided to Macaluso Cahill by third parties. These third-party materials are provided for your interest and convenience only. We do not endorse these materials nor the third parties who supply them to us, nor do we warrant or represent that these materials are current, accurate, complete or reliable.
We welcome your comments, feedback, suggestions, and other communications regarding this Site, including your ideas for new features and other ways that we can make this Site more useful to you (collectively, “Feedback“). Note, however, that any Feedback you provide to us through this Site will be owned exclusively by Macaluso Cahill. Your submission of Feedback will constitute an assignment to us of all right, title and interest in your Feedback, including all worldwide copyrights and all other intellectual property rights in your Feedback. We will have the right to reduce to practice, exploit, make, use, copy, disclose, display or perform publicly, distribute, improve and prepare derivative works based on any Feedback you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. For this reason, we ask that you not send us any Feedback that you do not wish to assign to us.
If you wish to register on the Site, you will be required to provide certain personal information to us. You agree to (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted in the applicable page, (b) maintain and promptly update your information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete and (c) the terms of our Privacy Notice.
You agree to use the Site in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You agree not to upload or transmit to or through the Site any computer viruses, trojan horses, worms or anything else designed to interfere with, interrupt or disrupt the normal operating procedures of a computer. Any unauthorized modification to, tampering with or change to any information, or any interference with the availability of or access to the Site is strictly prohibited. We reserve all rights and remedies available to us including reporting any breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and co-operating with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW (I) THIS SITE AND ALL OF THE CONTENT, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND; AND (II) MACALUSO CAHILL DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, WITH RESPECT TO THIS SITE AND THE CONTENT, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS SITE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, WE DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, (A) OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; (B) ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING OR COURSE OF PERFORMANCE; (C) RELATING TO THE SECURITY OF THIS SITE; (D) THAT THE CONTENT OF THIS SITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT; AND (E) THAT THIS SITE WILL OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR ERROR.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTIES MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
MACALUSO CAHILL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE IN ANY MANNER FOR ANY USER POSTINGS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, SHALL MACALUSO CAHILL OR ITS PARTNERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, VENDORS, LICENSORS OR SUPPLIERS, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SITE, INCLUDING, IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CONTENT, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES RELATED TO OR PROVIDED THROUGH THIS SITE.
THIS IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL LOSSES AND DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, GENERAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING LOSS OF DATA, INCOME OR PROFITS), WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF MACALUSO CAHILL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND WITHOUT REGARD TO THE EFFECTIVENESS OF OTHER REMEDIES.
IF ANY PART OF THIS LIMITATION ON LIABILITY IS FOUND TO BE INVALID OR UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, THEN THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF MACALUSO CAHILL (AND ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY WHOSE LIABILITY WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE BEEN LIMITED) FOR LIABILITIES THAT OTHERWISE WOULD HAVE BEEN LIMITED SHALL NOT EXCEED $10.00.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Modification and Discontinuation
We reserve the right at any time to modify, edit, delete, suspend or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Site (or any portion thereof) with or without notice. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any such modification, editing, deletion, suspension or discontinuance of the Site. Any of the material (including the Content) on the Site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
Links to this Site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to this Site from any website that is not owned by you.
Links from this Site
Governing Law, Jurisdiction and Venue
Questions and Contact Information
Questions or comments about the Site may be directed to [email protected].
Macaluso Cahill LLP
Effective October 1, 2022
Definitions Specific to this Policy
“Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. Personal Information does not include publicly available information obtained from government records; deidentified or aggregated consumer information that cannot be reconstructed to identify you; any information covered under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or the California Financial Information Privacy Act, activities covered by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, or protected health information as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
“Sale” or “sell” means selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a consumer’s personal information by the business to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
“Service Provider” means a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, association, or other legal entity that is organized or operated for the profit or financial benefit of its shareholders or other owners, that processes information on behalf of a business and to which the business discloses a consumer’s Personal Information for a business purpose pursuant to a written contract.
“Third Party” means a person or entity who is not a business that collects Personal Information from consumers, as defined in the CCPA, and to whom the business discloses a consumer’s Personal Information for a business purpose pursuant to a written contract.
The Personal Information We Collect and Disclose
We will not collect a category of Personal Information not listed above, or use any Personal Information collected in any of the above categories for a business purpose not listed above, without first providing you with notice.
You have the right to request certain information regarding the Personal Information we have collected about you in the preceding 12 months. You may make such a request up to twice in a 12-month span. Please note that there are circumstances in which we may not be able to comply with your request pursuant to the CCPA, including when we cannot verify your request and/or when there is a conflict with our own obligations to comply with other legal or regulatory requirements. We will notify you following submission of your request if this is the case.
- If you would like to request (1) specific pieces and the categories of Personal Information collected about you; (2) the categories of sources providing that Personal Information; (3) the categories of third parties with whom we have shared that Personal Information; and/or (4) the business purposes for collecting, using and sharing that Personal Information, email us at [email protected] and describe your request or call 612-426-3959.
After we receive your request, to ensure the security of the information we store and consumers’ privacy, we will verify that you are appropriately affiliated with the subject of the request, either as the consumer or as an authorized agent or guardian of the consumer. We may ask you to provide a few pieces of information to confirm your identity in our records.
Deletion of Your Personal Information
You have the right to request that we delete certain Personal Information that we have collected. Please note that there are circumstances in which we may not be able to comply with your request pursuant to the CCPA, including when we cannot verify your request and/or when there is a conflict with our own obligations to comply with other legal or regulatory requirements. We will notify you following submission of your request if this is the case.
- If you would like to request that we delete your Personal Information pursuant to the requirements of the CCPA, email us at [email protected] and describe your request or call 612-426-3959.
You may designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf.
Pursuant to the CCPA:
- Only a business entity or natural person registered with the California Secretary of State may act as an authorized agent.
- You must provide the authorized agent written permission to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf.
- We may deny a request from an authorized agent on your behalf if the authorized agent does not submit proof that he, she, or it has been authorized by you to act on your behalf if we request such proof, as permitted by the CCPA.
- Even if you use an authorized agent to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf, pursuant to the CCPA we may still require that you verify your own identity directly to us. This provision does not apply if you have provided with a power of attorney under California Probate Code sections 4000 to 4465.
Personal Information of Minors
Our operation of this website, our activity on social media, and our services are not intended for children or minors under the age of 16 years old without express consent or authorization from a parent or a legal guardian. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect or store information about minors under the age of 16, except as legally required or professionally required in our capacity as counsel, and we do not sell the personal information of minors. If you believe that we have unintentionally received personal information about a minor under the age of 16 years old, please contact us at [email protected].
Right to Opt-Out
You have the right to request that we do not sell Personal Information that we have collected.
- If you would like to request that we do not sell your Personal Information pursuant to the requirements of the CCPA, email us at [email protected] and describe your request or call 612-426-3959.
- If you use an authorized agent to submit your request to opt-out, we will request that the agent provide us with proof that he, she, or it has been authorized by you to act on your behalf. The CCPA requires you to provide the authorized agent written permission to exercise your rights under the CCPA.
Additional California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our web site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to other parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to inf[email protected] with the subject “Shine the Light Request.”
The Personal Information We Collect and Disclose
The chart below shows the categories of Personal Information we may collect; examples of the types of Personal Information in each category; all types of sources from which each category of Personal Information is collected; the business purpose(s) for which that category of Personal Information is collected; and all types of third parties with whom that category of Personal Information is shared. As this chart shows, we disclose certain Personal Information to service providers for a business purpose. We also sell certain Personal Information to third parties. This information covers the past 12 months.
|Categories of Personal Information||Examples||Types of Sources from which this Category of Personal Information Is Collected||Business Purpose(s) for Collection||Types of Third Parties with Whom this Category of Personal Information Is Shared/Sold and/or Disclosed|
|Unique Identifiers||Name, signature, address, telephone email, account name, SSN, DL number, passport number, online identifier, IP address||
|Government ID Number||Social security number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number||
|Financial Information||Bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information||
|Internet Activity||Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet Web site, application, or advertisement||
|Audio, Visual, Olfactory Information||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information||